Tuesday, February 15, 2011

Turkey Picadillo

Is Valentine's day over yet?  Ok, good!  Now I can move on with my life and forget that I ate 10 out of 12 cupcakes that I made on Sunday.  Usually Alex and I go out to a restaurant to celebrate, but we're poor!  So this year I decided to bring Valentine's day dinner to our own kitchen.  To make it extra special I actually made side dishes- plural!  Usually I'll just make rice or something simple that doesn't need to be timed so it comes out at the same time as the entree, but last night I made rice AND baked tostones.  Woah!  The recipe called for alcaparrado (no idea what that is), but some jalapeno would add the extra kick that makes this dish pop.  Rating 8/10.

Ingredients
Recipe adapted from Gina's Skinny Recipes
  • 1 lb lean ground turkey
  • 1/2 onion-chopped
  • 1 clove of garlic- minced
  • 1 tomato, chopped
  • 1/2 bell pepper- finely chopped
  • 2 tbsp cilantro-chopped
  • 4 oz (1/2 can) sodium-free tomato sauce
  • kosher salt to taste
  • fresh ground pepper to taste
  • 1 tsp ground cumin
  • 1-2 bay leaf
  • 2 tbsp alcaparrado (capers or green olives would work too) OR diced jalapeno to taste
  • Romaine lettuce leaves for wraps (optional)
Spray a large pan with pam and cook and break up the turkey through on medium heat.
While the turkey is cooking prepare the garlic, tomato, pepper, and cilantro cilantro.  I just threw them all in my mini food-prep.
Add the prepared veggies, tomato sauce, cumin, and bay leaf to the pan and reduce the heat to low. Add up to 1/4 cup of water to thin things out if desired.
Cover and simmer for 15-25 minutes.

No comments: