Thursday, March 24, 2011

Pesto Pasta

Alex and I are getting hitched next summer!  We need to cut back a bit in order to afford it, and to make myself feel better about not spending money over the next year, I decided to spend one last decent chunk of money.  That makes sense, right?  Anyway, I bought some pasta attachments for my Kitchenaid mixer.  I am in love!  I can pretty much make and boil a delicious serving of pasta in the time that it takes for dried pasta to cook (ok- add in a few minutes because I am usually watching TV at the same time and not being all that efficient).

Anyway, I've been on a huge pasta kick lately.  That combined with leftover basil caused me start craving this meal.  So, I invited a girlfriend over and I whipped this up for us.  She was subjected to a pasta making demonstration in exchange for her dinner, such a lucky girl!  Rating 8/10.



Pasta
3 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
4 eggs
1 tsp sea salt (optional)
~2 tbsp water

Combine the flour, eggs, and salt in a stand mixer mix briefly until the egg has been mixed into the flour.  Add the water slowly until a crumbly, yet formable dough has been created.
Roll out with pasta roller (this takes care of the kneading if you do it enough), and then cut into desired shape.
Cook in boiling water until al dente (around 4-6 minutes).


Pesto
2 cup basil leaves
6 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
1/2 cup walnuts
1-2 clove of garlic
1-2 tsp lemon juice
1/2 cup finely grated Parmesan cheese
6-7 tsp pasta water

Place basil, olive oil. walnuts, garlic, and lemon juice in food processor and pulse/wipe down the sides until everything is combined.
Add in the Parmesan, and continue to pulse/wipe down the sides until the cheese has been blended into the mixture.
Slowly add in pasta water until the desired consistency has been reached.

Toss the pasta with the pesto and some vegetables (tomatoes, asparagus, mushrooms...)

Makes at least 4 servings.

No comments: