Sunday, May 1, 2011

Millet Muffins

A few weeks ago I ordered Heidi Swanson's new book, Super Natural Every Day: Well-loved Recipes from My Natural Foods Kitchen, and for some reason I never got around to touching it until today.  I made it my mission this morning to open it and try to find a recipe that I could make with the ingredients that I already on hand.  Luckily, I had almost everything for these muffins.  I didn't have an actual lemon, so I had to skip the lemon zest.  Next time I'm going to make sure that I have one on hand, because I think that the zest would add that something special that will make these muffins pop.  Aside from that, these are great!  I've already had 2 so far today, and I'm hoping to keep my hands off of them long enough to bring them to my food buddy in class tomorrow.  They are filling, moist, and would taste great smeared with butter or jam.  Rating 8/10.
 Ingredients
Recipe adapted from Heidi Swanson

Dry
2 1/4 cup whole wheat pastry flour
1/3 cup raw millet
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp sea salt

Wet
1 cup plain yogurt
2 large eggs
1/2 cup room temp unsalted butter (or 1/4 cup butter and 1/4 cup all natural sugar free applesauce)
1/2 cup honey
Grated zest and 2 tbsp juice from 1 lemon

Preheat oven to 400 degrees
Combine the dry and wet ingredients in separate bowls.
Mix the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients until all of the flour has been thoroughly incorporated.
Divide the batter evenly amongst a 12-cup muffin pan that has either been sprayed with PAM baking spray, coated with butter, or lined with paper liners.
Bake for 15-17 minutes, or until the tops are cracked and light brown.
Let the muffins cool before eating.

No comments: