Monday, November 5, 2012

Zucchini Pasta- or How to Eat (and Enjoy) Two Zucchini in One Sitting

I'm currently trying to immerse myself in the Specific Carb Diet- the premise behind this one makes sense.  Certain foods create bacteria/yeast in your digestive tract which compromise your health, and you avoid such foods (wheat products, refined sugar, preservatives, potatoes...).  It is essentially gluten-free meets paleo meets raw, and I'm really enjoying how I feel on it.  It is so fabulous that a lot of people attribute it to curing autism/Crohn's/Ulcerative Colitis/ms/etc..

Now, I love pasta.  Noodles & Co was my to-go spot in high school, and even whenever I would wind up at the Mall of America I would always pass the more "exotic" eateries in favor of good old Noodles.  With that said, it is going to be hard for me to pass up pasta.  To cope with this loss, I bought a spiralizer


With said spiralizer I have had this same meal twice in one week, which testifies to the fact that it quick, easy, and crave-inducing.
You can make zucchinia pasta without a spiralizer of course.  You can use a mandolin to create wide and thin noodles, you can use a julienned (this would take longer of course), and you can just match stick the zucchini (this would be the least consistent and take the longest).
Ingredients
  • 2 medium sized zucchini- spiralized
  • 2 handfuls of grape tomatoes- sliced in half
  • a few slices of roasted red peppers and a few tablespoons of their juices if from a jar
  • 1-2 tbsp butter
  • salt
Heat up a skillet over medium heat and add the vegetables and butter.  
Heat up until the butter melts and the zucchini warms up a bit (the less you cook it the crunchier it will be).
Adjust the butter and red pepper juice to taste and lightly salt to taste.  Yummo!



No comments: