Monday, January 14, 2013

Roasted Balsamic Strawberries

Alex called me from the grocery store this weekend because he was picking up his football game junk food, and being a smart husband realized that I would probably like a snack too.  I opted for strawberries since I'm not giving myself any excuses to include grains in my snacks (just the occasional pizza...).  Anyway, the strawberries weren't ripe so I roasted them to deepen their flavor, and I had just seen a recipe for balsamic roasted strawberries so that is what I did, but I made it SCD friendly by using honey instead of sugar.

I think that the key is to use a high-quality balsamic vinegar that you want to drink instead of drizzle on a sandwich.
Preheat oven to 400 degrees (or skip this step and just eat the balsamic strawberries raw, that was tasty too)
Chop 1 lb of strawberries into 1 cm slices
Mix together 1 tbsp honey with 2 tbsp balsamic vinegar and combine with the strawberries.
Spread the strawberry slices out on a tin foil lined pan and bake for 15-20 minutes.
Refrigerate and serve as a dessert topping.  I served mine on top of my homemade SCD yogurt, and it was delicious.  I am thankful that Al thinks that he doesn't like balsamic vinegar so he left it alone.

No comments: