Sunday, April 3, 2011

Pioneer Woman's Chicken Noodle Soup

I've been reading the PW blog ever since I started blogging a few months ago, and for some reason I never ever made one of her recipes.  Until now.  I almost took one bajillion photos to give you a Pioneer Woman experience right here on this little blog, but I've decided to spare you.  I went the homemade noodle route, and I would recommend not making your noodles too thick.  It took much longer for my noodles to cook than my need for instant gratification allowed.  I also decided to go old school on the chicken, and quartered my own.  Overall, I think that this made a good meal.  I'm new to the whole white pepper thing, but I'm hoping that it will grow on me.  The leftovers have provided me with two lunches so far, and I love love LOVE the broth.  I think that my main problem with the noodles that I made was that they didn't absorb enough of the flavor.  Is this a classic chicken noodle soup?  Nope- it is much more savory from the unexpected spices.  Will I make it again?  Probably to spice things up a bit once in a while, but I am still on the hunt for an excellent traditional chicken noodle soup.  Rating 7.5/10.



Recipe adapted from Pioneer Woman
Ingredients
1 chicken- quartered (keep bones in)
2 carrots- diced
2 stems celery- diced
1/2 onion- diced
1 tsp sea salt
1/2 tsp turmeric
1/4 tsp white pepper
1/4 tsp ground thyme
2 tsp parsley flakes
16 oz fresh pasta
3 tbsp all purpose flour (optional to thicken the soup)

Put the chicken in at least a 5 qt pot and cover with 4 qts of water.
Bring to a boil over high heat and then bring down to a simmer for 30 minutes.
Remove chicken and shred the meat off with two forks. 
Return the chicken bones to the water and simmer and low for 45 minutes, covered.
Remove all of the bones with a slotted spoon.
Add in the vegetables, spices, and herbs.  Stir and let simmer for 10 minutes.
Increase heat to medium-high.  Once the broth has heated up add in the pasta and chicken.  Cook until the pasta is cooked all of the way through, about 10 minutes depending on the thickness of your pasta.
If you want to thicken up your soup, mix the flour with a bit of water and then stir into the soup and simmer for another 5 minutes.
Season with additional salt.

No comments: