Thursday, August 25, 2011

Caprese Zucchini

It seems crazy that just a few months ago I was squatting in the garden sprinkling seeds here and there.  It was even crazier when things started sprouting.  Now that everything is fully grown and producing goodies, I am going crazy with the amount of zucchini that I have piling up.

Mistake #1 was planting so much zucchini.  Mistake #2 was not having any recipes in mind for said zucchini.  I have tried a few recipes to use it up (zucchini cupcakes and zucchini fries), but I have been pretty disappointed with the results.  The zucchini pile continued to rise.

Then today I was flipping through Cooking Light at the store and came across a whole page devoted to zucchini variations.  I almost just jotted down the ingredients and steps, but of course there was a bunch of other recipes in the mag that I also wanted and were far too complex to simply write down or memorize.  This one could have been memorized, but oh well!

Alex hated this.  I really enjoyed it, especially compared to my previous zucchini flops.  I especially liked that I had to buy absolutely nothing, hooray for using up fresh produce and mozzarella cheese that is about to start stinking up the fridge!

Fresh, simple, quick.  Rating 8/10.  Alex would probably rate it a 0 to correspond with the absence of meat in this dish (and I also said earlier in the day that I was making pizza, then said that I didn't want to make dough, and he wasn't listening when I told him what I was making instead.  Not my fault!! :D)

Recipe adapted from Cooking Light
2 zucchini- cut into 1/2 inch slices (diagonal cuts make it fancy dancy)
1/4 tsp sea salt
1/4 ground pepper
2 tsp extra virgin olive oil

Caprese salsa
2 tomatoes- diced
3 tbsp fresh basil- chopped
fresh mozzarella (more is better! num num)
1 garlic clove- finely minced to increase health benefits!
1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
1 tsp red wine vinegar

Combine the zucchini with the salt, pepper, and olive oil.
Preheat a grill pan over medium high heat and spread the zucchini out in a single layer.
Cook for two minutes and then flip and continue to cook for 2-4 minutes more (I liked mine to have prominent grill marks so I let them cook longer than the suggested 4 minute total time)

While the zucchini is cooking away prepare the salsa.
Dish out the zucchini and top with your caprese salsa.  Delicious.

No comments: