Monday, August 1, 2011

Krista's Summer Salad

I am forcing us to eat more salads in an effort to get back to my former shape that I abandoned when I stopped working out for a month straight when I moved home/lost access to a TV to watch my workout videos on.  I do have my TV back now and all of my glorious tapes as well, but I need to make my diet even healthier to balance out this extra pudge going on (somehow there is a indirect correlation to my access to TV and my access to ice cream).

Enter the delicious salad.  I love anything with fruit, and greens are no exception.  Add pretty much any berry that is on sale and you have a salad that you won't have a problem finishing.  The cinnamon roasted pear slices are great on their own, but if you don't want to run your oven then raw pear slices will work just as well.  Rating 8/10.


1 head of lettuce- chopped
1 handful of asparagus- chopped into 2-inch segments and blanched (placed in boiling water for 2 minutes and then drained)
1/3 cup walnuts
3/4 cup blueberries
3/4 cup raspberries
1 yellow tomato- sliced
1 red tomato- sliced

1 pear- skinned and sliced into 1-inch chunks *see baking preparation below
ground cinnamon

raspberry salad dressing to taste

Preheat oven to 375
Place pear slices in an ovenproof dish and dust with a generous dose of cinnamon.
Bake the pears for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.

Combine all ingredients and serve immediately
Makes 2 servings.

No comments: