Monday, November 1, 2010

Buffalo chicken lettuce wraps

My man and I love to eat buffalo wings.  Whenever we go out to an establishment like Buffalo Wild Wings or Quaker Steak and Lube, we both always settle on wings smothered in hot sauce.  We differ only in which sauce we get on the side (I'm a blue cheeser).  While we aren't exactly on a diet diet, we have been trying really hard to eat healthier.  This meal was inspired by the one unusual meal choice that I made at Quaker Steak, which was a chicken wrap (smothered in hot sauce).  Alex is on a "carbs=bad" diet, so I substituted the tortilla with lettuce leaves, and I left out cheese and dressings to make it even healthier.  This meal was also eaten with quite a bit more vegetables than the inspiration wrap, which made us both extremely pleased. It was also super quick to prepare, which worked out quite well since Alex was able to help me cut up the chicken, wait for dinner to be done, eat, and get to a tutoring session in about half an hour.  This meal is MESSY! So it is best to have it when you are with those who will love you, even if you are smothered in sauce.



The Ingredients
Three skinless chicken breasts- cut into strips
1/3 cup hot buffalo sauce (I used Frank's)
1 tsp garlic powder
1 stick of celery- diced
1 tomato- diced
"matchstix" carrots- or about 1 large carrot chopped into smithereens
1 bell pepper- diced or cut into thin strips
1 head of lettuce
Canola oil

Start by seasoning the chicken with the 1 tsp of garlic powder and pour on the hot sauce.  Let it sit in the refrigerator for about 30 minutes.

Heat up the oil in a wok (I used canola).  Add in chicken.  Cook until all of the chicken is cooked through.  Add more hot buffalo sauce   Fill the lettuce leaves with the chicken and vegetables, and have plenty of napkins for all of the juice that will more than likely spill down your chin.

I used relatively lightweight chicken breasts (saving $ where i can!) and this recipe made enough for about two people, without completely filling us up.  I would recommend upping the amount of chicken per person if this dish is to be eaten by itself.

For a less messy alternative, use tortillas.  For cheese lovers, add shredded cheddar. 

1 comment:

Merut said...

I love this idea! It's a little bit healthier, but still has the delicious hot wing sauce. By the way, I was reading your profile. The one thing I hate about cooking is the dirty dishes! It drives me crazy.