Wednesday, November 3, 2010

Tom's Famous Chili

Or what I like to consider "Fuhget Abaout It!" Chili.  Seriously, aside from browning some hamburger with diced onion and garlic all that you need to do is dump the ingredients in a big pot and walk away for half an hour.  This recipe is from one of my mamacita's coworkers.  I've made it for Alex and myself on a number of occasions since it is so simple, and I generally have most of the ingredients.  Is it the most delicious and gourmet chili version?  No.  But it is quick, easy, and should please most palates.  I'm currently on the hunt for a more mature chili recipe, but this will do until then.

Without further adieu,

Ingredients
Two cans of chili beans (I get one mild and one hot, because my tongue is a baby)
3/4 cup taco sauce (I use mild, once again big baby)
1 28 oz can of stewed tomatoes
1 small can tomato paste (I was too overwhelmed by all things tomato, so I opted for tomato sauce.  No big difference)
15.5 oz of salsa (I forgot to buy it before I took the picture!)
1 can of beef broth
1 packet of taco seasoning (I only used about half of it, trying to cut down on Na!)
1 lb ground beef (or chunks of cooked chicken.  I don't have a food processor, and was not in the mood for slicing up meat)
1 clove garlic- cut up into smithereens/grated
about 1 small onion- diced

I managed to find most of my processed foods in low-Na options,yippee!

Instructions
Brown the hamburger with the onion and garlic.




While the hamburger, onion, and garlic are romancing one another, dump everything else into your big pot.  Once the hamburger is browned, dump it into the pot as well.  Don't pull a me and forget to stock up on salsa before hand, only to make your fiance run to the convenience store to pick up an overpriced jar!




Cook for about half an hour, or even 40ish minutes if you lose track of time.  Serve with your favorite chili toppings!


No comments: