Tuesday, November 2, 2010

Pumpkin Cornbread

I despise cornbread.  I think that I associate it with bible camp when I was young.  Bible camp, for the most part, was super fun.  We dressed up in little Jesusy  robes and were issued tin-foil money (I found the $ stash, and became pretty tinfoil-rich), which we would then use to go around and buy cool things like dreydels and food.  The downside?  The only food that they had was bread!  Most of the bread was delicious (I have a weird thing for artisan bread), but for some reason there was always cornbread.   Yuck.  Anyway, I found this recipe over at Sugarcrafter while I was looking for pumpkin recipes.  I made it about two weeks ago for the very first time, assumed that it would be so-so, and quickly snarfed it down.  I was thrilled when Alex asked me to make it again since it uses up my sugar pumpkin that I was too lazy to carve in hort. lab, and I know it will go great with dinner tomorrow.

What you will need:
  • 1 cup flour
  • 1 Tbsp baking powder
  • 1 tsp kosher salt
  • 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
  • 1/4 tsp ground nutmeg
  • 1/2 cup brown sugar
  • 1 cup cornmeal
  • 2 eggs
  • 1 cup pumpkin purée
  • 1/4 cup olive oil
  • 1 Tbsp molasses
Prepare and combine all of the dry goods together and mix thoroughly.







Combine the wet ingredients and mix.
Mix the dry with the wet...
 Place in an 8x8 baking dish

Cook at 400 degrees for 30 minutes.  Try to let cool as long as you can manage to resist gobbling a piece up.  Last time I managed to make this cornbread last for a week, and the last bite was just as moist and delicious as the first.

No comments: