Friday, March 11, 2011

Healthy Burger Substitutes

I always assumed that swiss chard had an offensive taste.  Do you know what is rich in beta-carotene and potassium, is a killer source of fiber, vitamins C, E, K, and is apparently essential for bone formation?  The same culprit.  Anyway, this week when I was grocery shopping I decided that Swiss Chard looked like a hardy contender to replace my hamburger buns.  Know what?  It wasn't that terrible.  I am now saving up my pennies (I think that I have about 52 by now) to buy a hardcore blender so that I can make green smoothies with swiss chard and other green leafies.

Since my first burger substitute is probably not going to make you run to the store to satisfy your need for green, here is a tasty AND HEALTHY burger substitute.  Ground buffalo!  Nom nom!

Anyway, this isn't a legit recipe.  I meant for it to serve as a eating PSA, since practically every omnivore loves hamburgers, and buns= not paleo-friendly.  If you are interested, here is how I assembled my super healthy burger

Swiss Chard (or kale, romaine lettuce, etc.)
Sliced red onion
Spinach
A slice of Montery jack cheese (or other cheese)
A sprinkle of shredded sharp cheddar cheese (optional, use any other kind of cheese)
Ground buffalo patties
salt
pepper

Season the patties with salt and pepper.
Grill or grill-pan fry the burgers and onion slices.
After you flip the burger slap a slab of cheese on your burger and continue cooking.  Place a lid over the burger to coax the cheese into melting faster.
Serve each patty on a leaf of Swiss Chard.
Top with MORE shredded cheddar cheese, spinach, and any other toppings that you love.

No comments: