Tuesday, March 1, 2011

Black Bean Tacos

I don't like buying tortillas because I can never ever use them up before all 10000 of them go bad.  I can usually use up half of the tortillas before they go bad, but I've vowed to now use them all up!  Enter this nummy meal.  It's the third meal that I've managed to make within the past week using the same bag of tortillas, and I'm ALMOST OUT- HOORAY!  It's also a great way to use up a bit of veggies, and some feta cheese (another thing that always goes bad here).  This is quick, satisfying, and completely vegetarian (I didn't need to feed the meat eater tonight).  Rating 8/10.

Note- I made them with canned black beans and they weren't as good as the version with home baked black beans.


Ingredients
15 oz of black beans- canned or home prepared
1/2 tsp cumin
1/2 tsp crushed garlic
1/2 red onion- diced
Salt and pepper to taste
Olive oil
6 inch corn tortillas (substitute with romaine lettuce leaves/other greens to keep it paleo)
Red cabbage- thinly sliced
Spinach
Feta cheese

Combine the beans, cumin, garlic, and red onion in a pot and heat until cooked through.
Season the beans with salt and pepper.
Heat up 1 tsp of olive oil a pan over medium heat.
Place a corn tortilla in the pan and cook until browned on one side- about one minute.
Flip the tortilla and place the bean mixture along the middle and continue cooking until the other side is golden.
Top with red cabbage, spinach, and feta cheese

No comments: