Monday, March 21, 2011

Thin Crust Pizza

I haven't posted anything in a super long time.  I promise that I have a good excuse... I went home for spring break!  I just realized that every single spring break of my college career has been spent out at my mom's hobby farm shoveling freshly-thawed horse poo like there is no tomorrow.  This trip was no exception, no sunny beaches for me.  However, the trip was worth every wheelbarrow full of poo because I managed to get a great deal on a wedding dress!

Now I just need to maintain my weight over the next 15 months.  This might be a problem... Why?  I love me some pizza.  A little too much.  I eat it probably once a week.  I have no self control when it comes to pizza. I often find myself craving a thin crust pizza that is sturdy enough to eat without a knife and fork (unlike Neapolitan pizza, which I also crave all of the time).  Even though it is more substantial than my Neapolitan dough, I still find myself chucking margherita toppings on the crust like my life depends on it.  I am so boring, or maybe just easily pleased.   I am officially doomed to become a chubster and not fit into my gorgeous dress.  Dough rating 9/10.



Ingredients
Recipe adapted from How to Cook a Wolf
  • One 1/4-ounce package active dry yeast
  • 2 teaspoon honey
  • 1 cup warm water

  • 3 cups all-purpose flour
  • 1 teaspoon sea salt
  • 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
Combine the yeast, honey, and water in a small bowl.
Combine the flour, salt, and olive oil in a stand mixer bowl with the paddle attachment.
Mix the yeast mixture into mixer bowl once it has developed a considerable layer of froth.
Combine thoroughly, and then switch the paddle attachment out for a dough hook.
With the dough hook attached, knead the dough for 5 minutes.

Once the dough has formed into an elasticy ball, divide it into 4 even balls.
Place the dough balls in a large bowl and cover for 30 minutes.
If you are going to be cooking the pizza right away, preheat the oven to 500 degrees with a pizza stone placed inside of it.
Roll out the dough to desired thickness once it has doubled in size.  Dust flour on the dough to prevent it from sticking to your roller.  I used my new pasta roller to roll the dough out superbly thin (hence the rectangle shape)!
Cover a pizza peel with cornmeal and prepare the pizza with desired toppings on it. If you are using finely shredded cheese you might want to wait to put your cheese on the pizza until it has been cooking for about two minutes to prevent it from turning into a burnt mess.
Slide the pizza off onto the pizza stone and bake for around 4-7 minutes, or until the crust is crisp and the cheese is golden.

No comments: