Recipe adapted from Kalyn's Kitchen
- 1 yellow onion- diced
- 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- 1/4 tsp cayenne pepper if you want it spicy (more to taste) OR 1 tsp sweet paprika
- 1 tsp minced garlic
- 1/2 tsp dried thyme
- 1 tsp sea salt
- pepper to taste
- 1 cup of red lentils
- 2 cans of chickpeas- drained and rinsed
- 5 cups low-sodium chicken broth or vegetable broth
- 1 28 oz can of fire-roasted tomatoes- preferably diced
Add the smoked paprika, cayenne pepper, minced garlic, thyme, sea salt, and pepper to the pan and continue to cook until the spices become fragrant- about 2 minutes.
Combine the onion and spice mixture with the red lentils, chickpeas, and chicken broth in a dutch oven.
Bring the soup to a boil, and then lower the heat to low.
Cover and simmer for up to 45 minutes (it doesn't take this long for the lentils to soften, but I managed to let it simmer for this long).
Stir in the fire-roasted tomatoes and continue to cook until the tomatoes are heated through.
Optional- puree half of the soup and then recombine with the remaining soup to create a creamier texture.
Season with additional salt or pepper.
Serve with an optional dollop of Greek yogurt.
Check out Kalyn's Kitchen for crockpot instructions!