Wednesday, January 4, 2012

Frozen Elvis

Today was one of those days where you slave away at something and as a reward it flops horribly.  In my case I made butternut squash ravioli from scratch- but I didn't roll out the pasta thin enough and so it didn't cook evenly.  Normally this would put me in a foul mood for a few hours, but I had a new kitchen toy to distract myself with.

I had been wanting an ice cream machine for quite a while, and since it was more of a want than a practical need I had not yet splurged on one.  My spectacular sister got me one for Christmas, and since then I have worked feverishly to free up enough space in the freezer to accommodate the freezer bowl.

The machine is pretty slick, it makes a batch of ice cream in under half an hour!  My favorite part about making ice cream (aside from the obvious) is that the top isn't completely covered so that it is easy to taste and adjust the ingredients as needed.



Ingredients
2 cups Greek yogurt- I used fat free plain Fage
1 tsp vanilla extract
3 overripe bananas- broken up
1/3-1/2 cup peanut butter

Place all of the ingredients together in the ice cream mixing bowl and follow manufacturer's instructions.
Taste and adjust ingredients as necessary- I found that starting light on peanut butter and adding more as needed worked best.

No comments: