Tuesday, January 3, 2012

Scurvy-Free Salad

A few months ago I dragged Alex to a darling cafe (Cafe 318 in Excelsior for those of you who are interested).  I ordered a pretentiously amazing pizza, and it came with a salad on the side.  The salad had no other obvious ingredients in it besides the lettuce, and I only got around to eating it because I needed something to occupy my time while I was waiting for the waitress to bring the bill.  IT WAS AMAZING.  Instead of being dressed with something oily/fatty/or both, it was tossed with plain old lemon juice.  Maybe Mcdonalds should start offering lemon juice as a dressing so that people that are on a diet yet wind up at Mcdonalds ordering a salad actually have a chance at walking out of there successfully.  Maybe.

I was sick over the holidays and I have been inhaling several variations of this salad in an attempt to load up on vitamin C and to make my calories count.  Tonight's version was probably my favorite, but my key to having a fabulous salad is to have these main ingredients that I always have lying around: lettuce, craisins, walnuts, apples, and lemon juice.  Adding in other fruit just makes it even more irresistible.

Rating 10/10.  This salad is so addicting that I have two servings of it before I get around to actually eating the main course of the meal.



Ingredients
1 head of lettuce- washed, chopped, and given a whirl in a salad spinner
Craisins
Walnuts
1 apple- chopped
1 pear- thinly sliced or chopped
1 persimmon- sliced into half moons
Lemon juice- for dressing


Combine all of the ingredients together and drizzle with lemon juice.

FYI- Costco sells bottles of pure lemon juice and huge bags of craisins.

1 comment:

FoodEpix said...

Looks delicious. Would love for you to share your pictures with us over at foodepix.com.