Thursday, January 19, 2012

Simple Yet Gourmet Filet Mignon

One of my best friends in high school had an awesome connection that resulted in me eating at a place way out of my budget for free.  Thanks to him, I had my first filet mignon.  Thanks to my middle classness, I had no idea what it was that I was ordering and so I ordered it well-done.  The waiter probably thought that I was bonkers.

Since then I have learned how to properly order a filet mignon.  Not that I do this frequently- the most that I'll spend on a restaurant steak is $12 and only if I'm feeling like a millionaire on that day.  Anyway, yesterday I ended up going grocery shopping alone since Alex was off being a stud at BJJ class and we were completely out of non-water beverages which is a huge no-no in his book.  Without Alex there to restrain me, I filled up my cart with all sorts of meat that was on super-going-to-go-bad-in-two-days-sale.  This is how I wound up with filet mignon- and a freezer jammed with things that I never usually buy like turkey legs.   

Ok, this recipe is really good and can be made for two for under $14 if you are classy like me and grocery shop at Walmart.  I spent $9 since the filets were on sale, and I had everything else at home.  Trying to impress someone?  Make this.




Ingredients
  • 2 filet mignon steaks
  • Salt and pepper
  • 1/3 cup red wine (I used Barefoot's Sweet Red)
  • 1/3 cup balsamic vinegar
  • 1/2 red onion- chopped
  • 1 tbsp each of butter and extra virgin olive oil

Season the steaks with salt and pepper to taste.  
Heat up a grill pan over medium high heat and a small pan over medium heat.
Add your chopped onion, the butter, and EVOO to the small pan and stir every once in a while to brown the onions.  
Once the onions have browned, add in the red wine and balsamic vinegar- reduce heat to low-medium and stir occasionally while the liquids reduce.
After adding in the liquids to the small pan, pour in a few good glugs of olive oil onto the grill pan and cook steaks on each side for 5-7 minutes.
Let the steaks rest on a warm plate for a few minutes.  
Cut into a steak to make sure that it isn't too rare- if it is then throw it back on the grill pan for a few more minutes.
Top with the onion sauce and enjoy.



No comments: