Monday, February 28, 2011

Banana Bread Larabar

I love Larabars, but they are super expensive.  I was motivated to make my own when one of the blogs that I follow posted a whole bunch of different homemade versions of Larabars.  I figured that I could save myself a few bucks in the end if I started making my own, and I love love love the banana bread bars so I whipped up this version first.  The ingredients?  3 simple ones that you might already have lying around in your kitchen.  Rating 8/10.

Substitute raisins for the dates if you have diabetes!  I think that Dole is the best brand of raisin for this job, as they are much more moist than many other raisin brands (it has also won the award for Best Taste from Chefs Best since 2005). 



Ingredients

1 cup of almonds
1 cup of dates- chopped and seeded (or Dole raisins)
1/2 - 1 cup of banana chips (I tried making my own, and after a few hours in the oven the bananas were still mushy but it turned out fine)

Grind the almonds in a food processor and set aside in a bowl.
Place the dates and banana chips in the food processor and give them a spin until well-blended.
Hand mix the almonds and date/banana mixture together.
Scoop out a desired portion size, place on saran wrap and mold into a bar.
Refrigerate and grab one when you are on the go!
Makes about 4-8 serving sizes (depending on how hungry you are!)

2 comments:

Unknown said...

THESE ARE SO DELICIOUS. I can't wait til you have time to make them for me again.

Krista said...

I'm glad that you like them so much! I think that next time I'll replace the dates with raisins to reduce your chance of developing diabetes :P