Friday, December 31, 2010

CranApplesauce

I decided that having my wisdom teeth removed was the perfect incentive to make my own applesauce.  I finally got around to it today since I am awfully tired of eating processed food.  I also threw in some cranberries that have been sitting idle in my freezer for the past two months.  However, in the end I was kind of disappointed.  The good news is that this cranapplesauce is absolutely amazing.  The bad news is that I definitely forgot just how prevalent cranberry seeds are.  The thing about getting your wisdom teeth removed is that you can't let anything get lodged back in the holes, or else you could get an infection or develop a dry socket.  Yikes!  I ended up licking around the seeds on the ladle that I was using, num num!  I'm freezing the rest for a happier time in my life when I don't have huge holes preventing me from eating/cooking delicious things.  In the meantime I'll be living on Special K french vanilla protein shakes, which are pretty good but full of nasty ingredients. Rating 7/10.

Update- wisdom teeth holes have finally closed.  I thawed out the applesauce, and instantly devoured it.  Rating boosted to 8/10!


2 cups of cranberries- frozen or fresh
10 apples (a combo of apple varieties is best)- skinned and sliced
1 lemon- juiced
1/8 cup of brown sugar (or more to taste)
1 1/2 tbsp turbinado sugar (or more to taste)
1/2 tsp cinnamon (I used Tung Hing from China- nom nom)
water

Measure out the cranberries and place them in a 4 qt or larger pot or dutch oven.
Cover the cranberries with enough water so that they are completely submerged.
Boil the cranberries for 10 minutes.  I used this time to prepare my apples.
Combine the apples, lemon juice, brown sugar, turbinado sugar, and cinnamon in with the cranberries.
Stir the ingredients together and cook on medium for about 15 minutes- or until the apples have softened.
Mash with a potato masher, blend in a stand mixer, or process (depending on how you like your applesauce).

2 comments:

Biren said...

Oh you poor thing! Removing your wisdom toothe is no fun. Good thing the cranapplesauce turned out well and you can look forward to eating that. Thanks for visiting my blog. A very Happy New Year to you and yours!

Medeja- CranberryJam said...

Its better without wisdom teeth :) I got rid almost of all of them :D
Very nice sauce, when I ll have cranberries i hope I ll remember to try it :)