Saturday, December 11, 2010

White bean soup featuring kale and chorizo

AKA another way to add kale into my diet.  One of the blogs that I poke around featured this recipe from Cooking Light, and I decided that in addition to getting a good dose of kale I wanted to find out what chorizo is (my taste buds are sheltered, gimme a break).  I was pretty surprised at how delicious this is, especially considering the small amount of ingredients that needed to be dumped into my big ol' pot.  I found myself yearning for the kale, chorizo, and beans all at once (so basically every spoonful left me satisfied and yearning for more).  Alex managed to consume an entire bowl within a matter of minutes- and he was using a fork.  So yeah, it's good.  Rating 7/10.

Ingredients
  • 3.5 oz of chorizo- I used mild
  • 1 yellow onion- diced
  • 2-3 cloves of garlic- minced
  • 2 cans of white cannellini beans- drained and rinsed
  • 4 cups of chicken broth
  • 3-4 leaves of kale- chopped or hand-ripped
  • sea salt to taste
  • freshly cracked pepper to taste
  • 1/2 tsp arrowroot powder (optional)
Spray PAM or spread oil on the bottom of a large pot.
Cook the chorizo in the pot over medium hot, making sure to break it up into pieces with a width around that of a dime.
Once the chorizo is cooked through add in the diced onion.  Cook for about three minutes, stirring often.
Add in the garlic and cook for about one minute more.
Add in the chicken broth, beans, salt and pepper. 
Simmer for 30 minutes and then add in the kale.
Add in arrowroot powder in order to thicken up the broth a bit.


Serve with freshly baked bread.  Nuuum.

2 comments:

Jennie said...

This is my kind of soup! Kale, beans and chorizo! It doesn't get much better than that! Wonderful recipe!

Melissa @IWasBornToCook said...

This looks great... I love chorizo!