Friday, November 4, 2011

Pumpkin Pie in a Jar

Once in a while I like to make my man a special treat.  It's my way of showing my love and appreciation for him, since I can be a nag at times.  I like to make sure that these treats are packed with goodness, and that the empty calories are kept to a minimum.  One of the biggest calorie culprits in the pie world is the crust, and using jars is a great way to get around that dilemma.  Oh, and it helps that the finished product looks so cute (and can help with portion control if that is a problem for ya).



Adapted from Natural Noshing
Ingredients

  • 2 cups pumpkin puree (or butternut squash)
  • 1/2 cup milk of choice
  • 1 egg
  • 1 tsp vanilla extract
  • 1/4 cup sweetener (I used turbinado sugar)
  • 1/4 cup flour
  • 2 tsp ground cinnamon
  • 1/2 tsp ground ginger
  • 1/4 tsp sea salt
  • 1/8 tsp ground cloves
  • pinch of nutmeg and allspice
Preheat oven to 350 degrees
Blend all of the ingredients together and divide into jars that have been greased with butter or coconut oil (I used two pint-sized jars)
Bake for ~40 minutes or until a toothpick can be stuck into the center and comes up clean
Let cool and eat with granola, whipped cream, or nuts on top.

No comments: