Saturday, February 26, 2011

Beef Bulgogi

Don't ask me how to pronounce that.  I should probably ask my Korean tutee one of these days...  Romanization of foreign languages (and English too) makes me wish that we used the international phonetic alphabet, and then learning the IPA last semester would have been worth it.  Anyway, this is a lip-smacking version of one of the first meals that I made when I first inched my way into the world of recipes about a year ago.  I have the original recipe that I used posted in one of my early posts, but I added way too many veggies to that dish.  The addition of pear nectar was unexpected, and really made this dish stand out.  Try it when prime sirloin goes on sale!  Rating 8/10.


 Ingredients

  • 1.5 lb prime sirloin, or another quality cut
  • 3 tablespoons low sodium soy sauce
  • 1 tablespoon sesame oil
  • 1 tablespoon sesame seeds
  • 2 cloves garlic- minced
  • .5 teaspoon white sugar
  • 1 teaspoon garlic powder
  • 1 teaspoon onion powder
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
  • 1/2 cup pear nectar (can be found in a can in the ethnic/hispanic aisle)
  • 1 carrot- julienned (I did this with a peeler)
  • 1 green onion- chopped 
  • 1 green pepper- sliced into thin wedges
  • 1/2 red onion- sliced into wedges
  • 1 tbsp canola oil
  • prepared rice


Remove fat from the prime sirloin and discard.
Combine all of the liquids with the spices/seasonings.
Place the meat in a bag and marinate with the above marinade overnight (or for at least 3 hours).
Start cooking your rice ahead of time.
Prepare the veggies.
Cut up the meat into thin bite-sized pieces.  Reserve about a cup of the marinade.
Heat the oil in a wok over medium heat until shimmering.
Add the meat to the wok and cook until browned.  
Add the vegetables and reserved marinade and cook until tender.
Serve over rice, spoon the sauce over rice if desired.
Top with additional sesame seeds.
Consume.  Give thanks for awesome flavors.

No comments: