Saturday, February 26, 2011

Orange Chicken

I love Chinese food.  I didn't know this until I actually went to China.  I then realized that the problem with the Chinese food that I had before was that it wasn't authentic.  Did you know that there aren't even fortune cookies in China?  No one really knows where fortune cookies originated, but they are based off of a Japanese cookie.  Anyway... I never actually pictured myself cooking Chinese food, but I saw this on a blog and it looked too good to pass up.  Is this dish authentic Chinese?  I am not sure, I've never had orange chicken before.  What I can say that it is GOOD, especially with brown rice. 7.5/10.

Ingredients
Recipe adapted from Sweet Pea's Kitchen
Originally from America's Test Kitchen

  • 3/4 cup low-sodium chicken broth
  • 3/4 cup freshly squeezed orange juice (about 3-4 oranges)
  • 1 1/2 teaspoon finely grated orange zest- I recommend doing this while the orange is still unpeeled
  • 6 tablespoons white vinegar
  • 1/4 cup soy sauce
  • 1/2 cup dark brown sugar (I used light, and missed out on the rich and deep color)
  • 3 cloves garlic- minced
  • 1 tablespoon fresh ginger- grated
  • 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
  • 1 1/2 pounds boneless chicken breasts- cut into bite-sized pieces
  • 1 tablespoon plus 2 teaspoon cornstarch
  • 2 tablespoon cold water
  • 8 small whole dried red chiles- optional
  • 8 thin strips orange peel
  • 1 tablespoon peanut oil (or canola)
  • Green onion- optional
Combine the chicken broth, orange juice, orange juice, vinegar, brown sugar, garlic, ginger, and cayenne pepper.
Marinate the chicken with 3/4 cup of the prepared marinade for one hour.
After one hour heat the remaining marinade to a boil in a over high heat.
Stir the cornstarch and water together, and add to the the pan.
Reduce the heat and stir until thick (about one minute).  Add in the orange peel strips and the dried red chilis.  Set aside.
Heat up the oil over medium-high heat and add in the chicken and saute until cooked through.
Reheat the sauce and then toss the chicken in it.
Serve over rice.
Top with optional green onion garnish.


    No comments: