Tuesday, February 1, 2011

Hummus

This past weekend I bought a pretty hefty bag of sesame seeds for no good reason.  It wasn't even on sale!  I didn't think that it would be a big deal until a few days later when I was rearranging my overflowing pantry and noticed that I seem to do this a lot with Bob's Red Mill products.  A reminder for my future self- buy a house with a huge pantry and that has space for a garbage can that is NOT in the pantry so that things don't topple into it and probably get thrown away.  Anyway, I decided that I need to make a dent on my excessive baking goods supply and noticed that on the back of the sesame seed bag there was a recipe for tahini- which is the vital component of hummus that I can never ever find in stores.  I decided to whip some up some tahini in order to throw together this hummus, and it is fabulous.  This recipe came up as one of the first hits on my google search for hummus, and IT IS GOOD.  It has 4.6/5 stars on allrecipes.com, which shows that other people think so too!  Rating 8/10.


Ingredients
1 can of drained garbanzo beans
3 tbsp tahini
2 tbsp freshly squeezed lemon juice
1/2 tsp sea salt
1 clove garlic- minced
1 1/2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
1 pinch of paprika

Mix everything together in a food processor, or blender if necessary (it may be hard to get a good blend going since there isn't much liquid).
Put in a sealed container and refrigerate.

Makes 1 pint of hummus.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I have seriously never tried 'hummus' but hear about it all the time! I'll have to give it a try : )