My Culinary Quest
- 1 medium or large yellow onion- diced
- 1 serrano pepper- seeded (optional), and diced
- 1 tsp of chile or chili pepper
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1/2 tsp cumin
- 1-4 cloves of garlic depending on your taste- minced. I used 1 tsp of canned crushed garlic.
- 1 14.5 oz can fire-roasted diced tomatoes- with their juices
- 6 cups of pre-cooked black beans, or 3 cans drained and rinsed
- 2 cups of chicken or vegetable broth
- 1 cup of cilantro leaves, plus more for topping
- 1/2 of a lemon- squeezed
- salt and pepper to taste. Home-cooked beans have no added sodium so I ended up adding 1 1/2 tsp sea salt
Add the garlic and cook until fragrant- about 30 seconds.
Add in the tomatoes, black beans, and broth. Stir well to combine.
Bring to a boil and then reduce heat and simmer for 20 minutes.
Mix in the lime juice and cilantro and simmer for another ten minutes.
Season with salt and pepper to taste.
Serve with a lime wedge, chopped up avocado, shredded cheese, cilantro, bread for dipping, you name it!