Sunday, January 16, 2011

Super smoothie

"Wherever flax seed becomes a regular food item among the people, there will be better health."- Gandhi.

Well, I certainly wouldn't mind being a little bit healthier.  But, I'm not going to lie... I do not like flax seed.  I think that it has something to do with my mother going all Charlemagne on me (he made his subjects eat it) and trying to force me to consume a spoonful of ground flax seed daily sometime during my middle adolescence.  Flax looks like tiny armored beetles, which are just about as much fun to eat as flax seed.  What do smoothies have to do with flax seed?  Well... They are an excellent way to disguise flax seed as something that is super delicious.  This smoothie is delicious, and the texture of the ground flax seed blends in well with the seeds from the blackberries.  The seeds also make the smoothie seem more filling.  I would drink ten a day if I could afford it, and wanted to clean my blender daily.  Rating 10/10.
Recipe tweaked from Edible Moments
Ingredients
  • 1 1/2 cups frozen mixed berries
  • 1/2 cup vanilla kefir or yogurt
  • 1/2 cup orange juice
  • 2 tbsp ground flax seed (Bob's Red Mill sells it)
  • 1 tbsp honey
  • 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
Combine in a blender and consume immediately.

No comments: