Monday, January 17, 2011

Norwegian pancakes

Today is Alex's birthday, YAY!!!!  To celebrate his 22nd year, I decided to whip up these Norwegian pancakes to celebrate part of his heritage (and also because I've been wanting to make them forever, and haven't had the opportunity to make Al  breakfast for a while.)  I tested them out yesterday with a friend, and had trouble with the consistency of the batter.  This morning I made some alterations, which gave me better results.  The thing that I like about these pancakes is that they are dense from the kefir.  Sure I like airy pancakes once in a while, but these are a nice alternative.  They are mildly sweet, have a bit of a chew to them, and have a nice crisp outer layer.  Rating 8/10.

Recipe altered from Cooking Books
  • 4 cups of plain or vanilla kefir (or buttermilk)
  • 3 tsp baking soda
  • 4 eggs
  • 3 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
  • 1/4 cup whole wheat pastry flour (or more all-purpose)
  • 1/2 cup of turbinado sugar or regular sugar
  • 1/2 tsp salt (optional- I didn't add any and didn't lament it)
  • Milk- (optional) a small amount (about 1 1/2 tbsp) to create desired consistency.  
Dissolve the baking soda in the kefir, and then combine it with the eggs, sugar, salt.  Sift in the flour and mix it into the batter.  Mix in milk if the batter feels too thick.
Pour 1/4 cup of batter for each pancake on a pan coated with PAM over medium heat.
Wait to flip until bubbles have risen to the surface and the sides start to curl upward.  Flip and cook until done.

This should create enough batter to feed at least 4 people.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

They definitely grew on me. I want to try them again!