Friday, January 21, 2011

Mocha java smoothie

To make up for the lack of Ellie recipes lately, I'm determined to crank out a few over the next couple of weeks.  This one combined my love of Ellie with my love of frozen drinks.  Alex and I were going to make it as a snack once we got home, but it was -3 today and we were exposed to the elements for a long, long, long time so we whipped this up after thawing for a couple of hours.  My gosh, was it ever good.  I am pleased to say that my contribution to preparing this drink was measuring out the ice and chopping up a banana, Alex did the rest!!!!  It was the perfect combination of banana, vanilla, chocolate, and ice!  Rating 8/10.





Recipe by Ellie Krieger
Ingredients

  • 1 tbsp sugar- turbinado or white
  • 2 rounded teaspoons of instant espresso (I used vanilla), or 2 shots of espresso
  • 2 tsp unsweetened cocoa powder (I used Dutch cocoa from Penzey's)
  • 1/4 cup of boiling water
  • 2 cups milk
  • 2 ripe bananas- fresh or frozen
  • 1 cup ice
Combine the sugar, espresso, cocoa powder, and water in a small bowl.
Add the cocoa mixture, milk, bananas, and ice and blend until mixed through.

This recipe makes 2-3 servings.

No comments: