Friday, January 21, 2011

Parfait

I realized yesterday that I had not made any Ellie Krieger recipes lately, and promptly started whipping through the pages of her book So Simple.  I wanted to make everything, but settled on these parfaits because all that I usually eat during the semester for breakfast is a bowl of raisin bran cereal.  Boring.  I threw them together last night for breakfast today, and I have to say that they are the best parfait that I have ever had.  Granted, I think that the only parfaits that I have ever gotten are from Mcdonalds and then one time last summer when I was at O'hare airport waiting for my flight to China to begin.  Both were gross, still kind of frozen and expensive.  This parfait on the other hand is scrumptious and I had a hard time keeping myself from scarfing down the other parfait that I made last night for Alex.  This recipe is soooo simple that even young kids can help throw this together.  All that you need to do is measure ingredients, combine them, put them in a cup, and top it with berries.  Simple!  If you have leftover yogurt/oat mixture just cover it with saran wrap and use within 3 days to make more nummy parfaits.  Rating 10/10.
Recipe by Ellie Krieger
Ingredients
  • 1 cup of skim milk
  • 1 cup of vanilla yogurt or kefir
  • 1 cup of old-fashioned rolled oats
  • 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
  • 2 tbsp honey
  • fresh or frozen berries

Mix everything but the berries together.
Spoon the mixture into a parfait cup and top with berries.
Cover with plastic wrap and let it rest in the fridge overnight (the oatmeal needs time to absorb moisture).
Keeps in the fridge for up to 3 days.

Serves 4

No comments: