Recipe from Ellie Krieger
Adapted by me!
- 1 lb lean ground beef
- 1 medium onion- diced
- 4 cloves of garlic- minced
- 1 jalapeno- seeded (optional) and minced
- 1 stalk of celery- diced
- 1 medium red bell pepper- seeded and diced (I may or may not have pulverized the pepper in the processor- so the picture definitely doesn't display the nice crunch that should have been there)
- 1 15.5 oz can reduced sodium small red or pinto beans (I may or may not have forgotten to put the beans in the sloppy joes, but when I was eating them I definitely didn't think that anything was missing. Good lord I need to read ingredient lists better)
- 1 1/2 cups no-salt-added tomato sauce
- 2 tbsp tomato paste
- 1 tbsp red wine vinegar
- 1 tbsp unsulfured molasses
- 1 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tsp dry mustard
- 3/4 tsp salt
- freshly ground black pepper to taste
- whole wheat burger buns
Add in the prepared garlic, celery, jalapeno, and red pepper and cook for 5 minutes. Stir once in a while.
Add in the rest of the ingredients (not the buns though!), simmer for 5 minutes.
This can supposedly feed up to 8 people if a single serving is going to be considered as 1/2 cup.
1 serving has 265 calories and 4.5 g of fat.