Thursday, January 13, 2011

Individual serving garlic french fries

I love love love french fries.  However, after learning about acrylamide I've made a serious effort to stop ordering fries when I eat out.  Does this stop me from munching on other people's fries?  No- muahaha.  Anyway, I figure if I'm going to be eating foods that contain acrylamide, then they better be healthier than their processed version!  That's where oven-baked french fries come into the picture.  The diversity that you can get in your homemade french fries is awesome, you can always pick and choose exactly how you want your fries to be seasoned and prepared.  I eat homemade french fries all of the time, and usually I make an entire meal out of them.  Usually I like to prepare sweet potato fries, but I have some regular baking potatoes that I need to use up soon. 

Ingredients
  • 1 russet potato
  • 1 pinch cayenne pepper
  • 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
  • 1-2 pinches of garlic- start off low!
  • sea salt
  • pepper
Place a baking sheet covered in tin foil in an oven preheated to 425 degrees.
Slice up potato into 1 inch wedges.
Place in a pot and cover with water and bring it to a boil.
Boil the fries for 4 minutes.
While the fries are boiling combine the olive oil and garlic in a small bowl and microwave for one minute to bring out the fragrance of the garlic.
Drain the fries and toss with the olive oil/garlic, cayenne pepper, and a few dashes of salt and pepper.
Take out the baking sheet and spray it down with pam.
Lay out the fries so that none touch and bake for 20 minutes.
After 20 minutes remove the sheet and flip the fries.  Bake for 5-10 minutes more.
Devour.

No comments: