Thursday, January 27, 2011

Vegan Creamsicle Smoothie

I know what you are thinking mom!  I failed at being a vegetarian when I was a kid, why bother with the vegan thing? Don't worry, this time I'm not making any crazy diet promises that I can't keep!  I jokingly told Al last night that I was thinking about going vegan, he responded that he is going to go carnivore.  Instead, I'm going to try to expose myself to more healthy vegan meals.  So his insistence on eating lots and lots of meat and my love for eggs, kefir, and BBQ pork will probably keep me from straying too far into the vegan realm.  However, when I can I'll take a stab at vegan meals.  This was an awesome first vegan snack, and even Alex "liked it" (he can't stop comparing all smoothies to the mocha java smoothie) so I don't know how much stock to put into his rating.  I, on the other hand, LOVED IT.  I was super annoyed at my previous blender for breaking the day before I discovered this awesome recipe, and ended up using my food processor to do the job.  Good gosh that was annoying.  Anyway, I was so happy that I made too much last night since I had the leftovers for breakfast today.  The drink comes out frothy, filling, packed with vitamin C, and perfectly sweetened.  I went out and bought a new blender today just so I could make tons of these in the future. Rating 9/10.

Adapted from Oh She Glows.  She includes some additional healthy ingredients that I didn't have on hand, but I didn't find them necessary for the overall awesomeness of the flavor.
  • 1 1/2 large ripe banana, peeled, sliced, and frozen
  • 4-5 Clementines, peeled and separated (fresh of frozen- if you do use frozen then you won't have to worry about your cuties going bad)
  • 2 tbsp coconut milk (the cream from top of can)
  • 1/2 cup coconut milk (watery part)
  • 1/2 cup + 2 tbsp almond milk (or dairy milk, but the almond milk was really really good)
  • 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
  • 2 tsp fresh lemon juice

Combine in blender and let the blender do its thing. Adjust ingredients to taste.

No comments: