Tuesday, January 18, 2011

The Pop-eye Smoothie

I came up a bunch of titles for this smoothie, but Pop-eye seemed to fit the best considering the amount of spinach in this smoothie.  I decided to make this recipe today when I was perusing through Webmd trying to figure out what is wrong with my eye, and came across a list of foods that will supposedly reduce your risk of getting the flu.  On that list?  Spinach!  One of my favorite smoothies is Odwalla's Green Machine, but I don't often feel like busting out the big bucks to buy one.  So... since I'm home alone tonight I decided to whip this up for a small meal/snack.  This smoothie is great for those who are detoxing from the holidays and are looking for a tasty break from soda, and the spinach is not noticeable at all.  It is not the most delicious smoothie in the world (mainly because I like smoothies with dairy and berries), but it has a nice wholesome taste with a pineappley aftertaste.  Rating 8/10.

1 1/2 cup packed spinach
1 cup frozen pineapple
2 tbsp ground flax
1 cup orange juice
1 banana
1/4 cup of cold water (if needed)

Combine in blender and serve immediately.

1 comment:

Merut said...

I think the pop-eye smoothie is a brilliant name! It looks delicious. I may have to break out my blender to try it.