Update- five days later and the few left (it's hard eating 24 muffins between two people) still taste FRESH!
- 3/4 cup whole-wheat pastry flour
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/4 cup canola oil
- 3/4 cup firmly packed light brown sugar (my second batch I used 1/2 cup, and it turned out just as fantastic as the full-sugar batch)
- 2 large eggs
- 1/2 cup natural applesauce (I used my cranapple sauce)
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 1/2 cups finely shredded carrots (about 2 medium carrots)
- 1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons finely chopped walnuts (optional- I didn't add any)
- 4 ounces 1/3 fat cream cheese
- 3/4 cup confectioners' sugar, sifted
- 1/2 teaspoon finely grated lemon zest
Combine the dry ingredients.
Mix together the oil, eggs, applesauce, and vanilla.
Blend the wet and dry mixtures together.
Stir in the shredded carrots and the optional walnuts.
Place muffin liners in a muffin tin or spray with baking pam.
Distribute the batter evenly between the 12 muffin cups.
Bake for 20-22 minutes.
Let cool and store covered in the refrigerator.
Optional frosting (I didn't add any)
Using an electric blender mix together the cream cheese, sugar, and lemon zest until light and fluffy.
Pipe onto cooled muffins.